0   |   Shopping Cart   |   Checkout

Changing Your Name After Divorce Frequently Asked Questions

Question: I took my husband's name when I married, but now we're getting divorced and I'd like to return to my former name. How do I do that?

Answer: In most states, you can request that the judge handling your divorce make a formal order restoring your former or birth name. If your divorce decree contains such an order, that's all the paperwork you'll need. In New York and Jersey, for example, the request for a name change is contained in the body of your divorce complaint. DivorceToday.com prepares this request as part of the paperwork that we send to you.

You'll probably want to get certified copies of the order as proof of the name change - check with the court clerk for details. Once you have the necessary documentation, you can use it to have your name changed on your identification and personal records.

Submit your Feedback

Back to top